I offer the following services:
- Structural (also called substantive and developmental) editing: revise, cut, expand, reorder, and sometimes write original material to fill in gaps
- Stylistic editing: eliminate jargon, clichés, wordiness, and repetition; fit language to audience; restructure sentences and paragraphs to maintain flow while preserving tone, authorial voice, and level of formality
- Copy editing: edit for spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation; check for consistency and continuity; sometimes develop a style sheet for the project
I have experience editing the following subjects, genres, and styles: literature, cultural studies, art history, nursing and philosophy, qualitative studies in a variety of social science disciplines, reports and technical writing, newsletters, and APA and MLA style.
I copy edit graduate theses and dissertations after the student has successfully defended their work and with the supervisor’s approval (as per Editors Canada guidelines).
Please contact me for a free quotation. I quote on package rates rather than by the hour, as every project is different. Please provide me with
- Sample pages (5 pages minimum)
- Length of document to be edited
- Date required for completion
- Type of editing required
I have supported many graduate students through to completion of their theses and dissertations. First, I meet with you to determine your goal and timeline. Coaching is flexible and tailored to your needs. Some clients like to talk frequently; others want only occasional check-ins. I can support you with writing resources, goal setting, motivation, writing process, and perfectionism. As of 2022, I require explicit written permission from your supervisor to provide this service.
My hourly rate is $40.